How to create an account:
- Navigate to http://twitter.com/ and click the yellow button on the right hand of your screen, or simply navigate to https://twitter.com/signup.
- Fill in the first field with your full name.
- Select a username. Try to pick something that describes you – whether it’s a nickname, an interest or a hobby.
- Enter a password. Be tricky! Make sure your password contains letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Enter your email address.
- Fill in the Captcha to prove you’re human, not a machine!
- Pick sources that interest you (more on this below).
- Search for Friends, and follow them.
Tip: Choosing a Username
Your username is the name your followers use when sending @replies, direct messages, or Retweets. It will also form the URL of your home timeline. Please note: You can change your username in your account settings at any time, as long as the new username is not in use. Usernames must be fewer than 15 characters in length, and cannot contain ‘admin’ or ‘twitter’ in order to avoid brand confusion.
Tip: Entering Your Email
We use this to confirm your account before you can finish the signup process. Be sure to enter an email address that you actively use. Emails can only be tied to one Twitter account at a time in our system.
1. Finding Sources That Interest You
Twitter is more useful and fun when you’re getting regular updates relevant to your interests, so try the following:
- Select some of your interests from the left-hand side of the screen.
- Browse the sources listed accounts you might like to follow. (A new list of suggested sources is generated every time you click an interest.)
- Clicking the ‘follow’ button next to a user’s name will add them to the list of users you are following. This is indicated by the number in the green square above the list.
- After you’ve followed users suggested in one area of interest, select another and find more sources to follow!
- When finished, click the blue ‘Next: friends’ button in the lower right hand side of your screen.
2. Getting Personal: Contact Import
If you choose, Twitter can scan your email address book in order to find contacts that are also using Twitter. It’s a fast and easy way to find your friends.
- Simply type your email address and your email password into the boxes, then hit ‘Find friends.’ Twitter does not store your login, and we will not use your email address without your permission.
- When you see a list of the friends and colleagues found in your address book, follow them!
- Follow all of them by selecting the blue ‘Follow All’ button on the right hand side of the results
- Or if you’d like to see updates only from specific people, you can choose to ask to follow your email contacts individually using the grey ‘send request’ button next to their information.
- Click the ‘Next: others’ button at the bottom of your screen.
- A box will pop-up with your remaining contacts who are not on Twitter. To invite them to join Twitter, check the boxes next to the contacts you wish to invite – or click “select all” at the top.
Please note: if you click ‘select all’ and proceed, it will invite all contacts in your address book.
3. Finding Friends with Twitter Search
To complete signup, search for anyone else you would like to add on Twitter. This example will demonstrate searching for Biz Stone, who did not show up in my contact import.
- Type the name of the person you’re searching for into the search box.
- A list of matching accounts will show. Click the ‘Follow’ button next to any you wish to begin Following. A confirmation message will appear.
- When finished, click the blue ‘Next step: you’re done!’ button to finish the sign up process. You will be taken to your home page, known as your timeline, where you can now share information via Tweets, as in the example shown below.
- Press ‘update’ and you’ve successfully posted your first Tweet. Congratulations and welcome to Twitter!
If you enjoyed this article, Get email updates